A Year Ago Today

We decided to start trying for a baby in January 07. We told ourselves not to get our hopes up right away, figuring that at our "advanced" ages it might take a while. Late that January I got sick with bronchitis and went to my doctor. She gave me a "very accurate" urine test to check for pregnancy and announced that I was not pregnant. I was therefore allowed to take a plethora of medications, including antibiotics. In the next 2 weeks, I took my migraine meds a couple of times. I went to a friend's birthday party and ate soft, imported cheese. Ron and I went to New Orleans for a mini-vacation, and I drank a fair amount - I even had a Ramos Fizz, which is made with a raw egg.

My period was due around Feb. 6th. It didn't happen. Whatev, I have pretty long cycles. And anyway, it felt like my period was just around the corner. A week went by, and I suddenly realized that the feeling that my period was imminent had just... disappeared. On Feb. 13th, I had to go to Target to buy Valentine's day stuff for my students. I figured, maybe I should buy a pregnancy test, just to make sure - knowing full well that it would be negative. I planned to buy the test and take it home, but as I picked it up off the shelf a huge wave of anxious excitement hit me. I was actually shaking! I realized there was no way that I was going to be able to calmly shop for Valentine's supplies, so I race-walked to the counter, bought the test, and headed straight for the Target bathroom. The test said it might take up to 5 minutes for an accurate reading, but 2 dark pink lines showed up in about 20 seconds. I sat there staring at the test, listening to people bustling about the restroom, in total and complete shock. I still had to go out and buy those Valentine's supplies! I floated around the Target in a daze, managed to get what I needed, and drove straight home.

I grabbed Ron the minute I walked in the door, saying "I have to show you something, you are not going to believe it!" I showed him the test, and he said something like, "What? What! It's not possible! Is it? It's not... is it?! What? Really?" We were just astounded. I took another test at home just to make sure, and this one also displayed two dark pink lines in record time. We were shocked, and freaked out, and disbelieving, and excited, and mostly just really, really happy.

I was pretty worried for awhile about all the naughty things that I had managed to ingest in the previous weeks, but my OB assured me that everything was going to be OK. Indeed, everything turned out well - no third eye or gills or anything on baby Desmond. I can't believe that that was a year ago today - it simultaneously feels like a lifetime ago and just yesterday. That me from one year ago had no idea what she was in for - how challenging, all-encompassing, and completely amazing this journey would be. More importantly, I didn't realize how love-struck I would be by this wee creature. Thank you, Desmond, for gracing us with your presence!
Feelin' a little giddy - 2/13/2007

1 comment:

Amber said...

What a great story! And look how fabulously Desmond turned out. :)